Jillian was raised in the San Joaquin Valley of California. Their research focuses on the long-term effects of assimilationist policy as documented by and responded to in the work of artists of color from the San Joaquin Valley. Their work has been published by the Journal of Homosexuality, Springer, and IGI Global.
- 2019 Off-Campus Dissertation Development Award, School of Graduate Studies, Rutgers University
- 2017-19 Excellence Fellowship, School of Arts and Sciences, Rutgers University
- 2017-21 Chancellor's Doctoral Incentive Program Scholarship, San Francisco State University
- 2016-17 Sally Casanova Pre-doctoral Scholarship, San Francisco State University
- 2015-16 Deborah Tolman Honorary Scholarship, San Francisco State University