B.A. in Sociology, University of California - Davis, 1972
M.A. in Sociology, University of California - Davis, 1974
Ph.D. in Sociology, University of California - Los Angeles, 1981
Professor Roos's research interests include work; inequalities; gender and work; stratification; and work/family.
Prof. Roos is currently writing in two broad research areas: (1) gender equity in higher education and (2) race, class, and gender differences in work/family behavior and attitudes. Reflecting her research interests in higher education, from 2008 through 2011, she served as Co-PI on the NSF ADVANCE Institutional Transformation grant: “RU-FAIR:-Rutgers University for Faculty Advancement and Institutional Re-Imagination.” She teaches courses in work; inequalities; work, family, politics; sociological writing; undergraduate and graduate methods; and a graduate course in writing about quantitative data/analyses.
Click here to view CV of Professor Roos.
Awards, Fellowships, and Grants
- National Science Foundation ADVANCE Institutional Transformation Grant, 2008-2013, “RU-FAIR-Rutgers University for Faculty Advancement and Institutional Re-imagination” (Co-PI, with Joan W. Bennett and Catherine Duckett)
- Alfred P. Sloan Foundation Grant, 2003-2004, “Changing Workplace Structures, Changing Workers’ Lives: New Jersey’s Pharmaceutical Industry” (PI, with Mary S. Hartman and Mary K. Trigg)
- Alfred P. Sloan Foundation Grant, 2001-2002, “Re-imagining Work and Community: Perspectives from Professional Women in Dual-Earner Families” (PI, with Mary S. Hartman)
- National Science Foundation Grant, 1993-1996, "A Collaborative Study of 1970-1990 Trends in Occupational Sex and Race Composition" (with Barbara F. Reskin)
- National Science Foundation Grant, 1985-87, "Collaborative Research on the Determinants of Change in the Sex Composition of Occupations" (with Barbara F. Reskin)
- Rockefeller Foundation Grant, 1985-86, "Determinants of Change in Occupations' Sex Composition Between 1970 and 1980" (with Barbara F. Reskin)
- President's Award and Chancellor’s Award for Excellence in Teaching, SUNY Stony Brook, 1986
- Department of Sociology Excellent Teacher Award, SUNY Stony Brook, 1985
- Department of Labor, Employment and Training Administration Doctoral Dissertation Grant, 1980-81
- Miller, Ann R., Donald J. Treiman, Pamela S. Cain, and Patricia A. Roos (eds.). 1980. Work, Jobs, and Occupations: A Critical Review of the Dictionary of Occupational Titles. Washington, D.C.: National Academy Press.
- Roos, Patricia A. 1985. Gender and Work: A Comparative Analysis of Industrial Societies. Albany, N.Y.: SUNY Press.
- Reskin, Barbara F., and Patricia A. Roos. 1990. Job Queues, Gender Queues: Explaining Women’s Inroads into Male Occupations. Philadelphia, PA: Temple University Press.
- Leibowitz, Arleen, William T. Bielby, Jonathan S. Leonard, Patricia A. Roos, J. H. (Rip) Verkerke, and John E. Rolph. 2005. Analyzing Information on Women-Owned Small Businesses in Federal Contracting. (Report of Steering Committee for the Workshop on Women-Owned Small Business in Federal Contracting.) Washington, D. C.: National Academy Press.
- Roos, Patricia A. 1981. "Sex Stratification in the Workplace: Male-Female Differences in Economic Returns to Occupation." Social Science Research 10:195-224.
- Treiman, Donald J., and Patricia A. Roos. 1983. "Sex and Earnings in Industrial Society: A Nine-Nation Comparison." American Journal of Sociology 89:612-50.
- Roos, Patricia A. 1983. "Marriage and Women's Occupational Attainment in Cross-Cultural Perspective." American Sociological Review 48:852-64.
- Treiman, Donald J., Heidi I. Hartmann, and Patricia A. Roos. 1984. "Assessing Pay Discrimination Using National Data." Pp. 137-54 in Helen Remick (ed.), Comparable Worth and Wage Discrimination: Technical Possibilities and Political Realities. Philadelphia, PA: Temple University Press.
- Roos, Patricia A., and Barbara F. Reskin. 1984. "Institutional Factors Contributing to Sex Segregation in the Workplace." Pp. 235-60 in Barbara F. Reskin (ed.), Sex Segregation in the Workplace: Trends, Explanations, Remedies. Washington, D.C.: National Academy Press.
- Hartmann, Heidi I., Patricia A. Roos, and Donald J. Treiman. 1985. "An Agenda for Basic Research on Comparable Worth: Report of a Seminar." Pp. 3-33 in Heidi I. Hartmann (ed.), New Directions for Comparable Worth Research. Washington, D.C.: National Academy Press.
- Reskin, Barbara F., and Patricia A. Roos. 1987. "Status Hierarchies and Sex Segregation." Pp. 3-21 in Christine Bose and Glenna Spitze (eds.), Ingredients for Women's Employment Policy. Albany, N.Y.: SUNY Press.
- Roos, Patricia A., and Joyce F. Hennessy. 1987. "Assimilation or Exclusion? Japanese and Mexican Americans in California." Sociological Forum 2:278-304.
- Donato, Katharine M., and Patricia A. Roos. 1987. "Gender and Earnings Inequality Among Computer Specialists." Pp. 291-317 in Barbara D. Wright and Myra Marx Ferree, Gail O.Mellow, Linda H. Lewis, Maria-Luz D. Samper, Robert Asher, Kathleen Claspell (eds.), Women, Work and Technology: Transformations. Ann Arbor, MI: University of Michigan Press.
- Roos, Patricia A. 1990. "Hot-Metal to Electronic Composition: Gender, Technology, and Social Change." Pp. 275-322 in Barbara F. Reskin and Patricia A. Roos, Job Queues, Gender Queues: Explaining Women's Inroads into Male Occupations. Philadelphia: Temple University Press.
- Roos, Patricia A., and Barbara F. Reskin. 1992. "Occupational Desegregation in the 1970s: Integration and Economic Equity?" Sociological Perspectives 35:69-91.
- Roos, Patricia A., and Katharine Jones. 1993. "Shifting Gender Boundaries: Women's Inroads into Academic Sociology." Work and Occupations 20:395-428. Reprinted in: 1995. Pp. 297-333 in Jerry A. Jacobs (ed.), Gender Inequality at Work. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.
- Roos, Patricia A., and Joan E. Manley. 1996. "Staffing Personnel: Feminization and Change in Human Resource Management.” Sociological Focus 29:245-261.
- Roos, Patricia A. 1997. "Occupational Feminization, Occupational Decline? Sociology's Changing Sex Composition." The American Sociologist 28:75-88.
- Roos, Patricia A., and Mary L. Gatta. 1999. “The Gender Gap in Earnings: Trends, Explanations, Prospects.” Pp. 95-123 in Gary N. Powell (ed.), Handbook of Gender and Work. Thousand Oaks, Ca: Sage Publications, Inc.
- Manley, Joan E., and Patricia A. Roos. 1999. “Progress at the Employment Gates? Affirmative Action and Earnings Gaps Among Human Resource Managers." Pp. 173-198 in Kevin T. Leicht (ed.), The Future of Affirmative Action. Research in Social Stratification and Mobility. Vol. 17. JAI Press.
- Gatta, Mary L., and Patricia A. Roos. 2004. “Balancing Without a Net in Academia: Integrating Family and Work Lives.” Equal Opportunities International 23 (3/4/5):124-142.
- Gatta, Mary L., and Patricia A. Roos. 2005. “Rethinking Occupational Integration.” Sociological Forum 20:369-402.
- Roos, Patricia A., Mary K. Trigg, and Mary S. Hartman. 2006. “Changing Families/ChangingCommunities: Work, Family, and Community in Transition.” Community, Work & Family 9(2):197-224.
- Roos, Patricia A. 2008. “Together But Unequal: Combating Gender Inequity in the Academy.” Journal of Workplace Rights 13(2):185-199.
- Roos, Patricia A. 2009. “Subtle Mechanisms: Reproducing Gender Inequity in Academia.” Pp. 27-40 in Mustafa F. Özbilgin (ed.), Equality, Diversity and Inclusion At Work: A Research Companion. Cheltenham, UK, and Northampton MA, USA: Edward Elgar Press.
- Roos, Patricia A., and Mary L. Gatta. 2009. “Gender (In)Equity in the Academy: Subtle Mechanisms and the Production of Inequality.” Research in Social Stratification and Mobility, 27:177-200.
- Roos, Patricia A. 2009. “Interconnecting Work and Family: Race and Class Differences in Women’s Work Status and Attitudes.” Women’s Studies Quarterly 37:103-120.
- Roos, Patricia A. 2010. “Not So Separate Spheres.” Contexts 9 (Fall):58-60.
Click here to view list and syllabi of courses offered by Professor Roos.