Department of German, Russian, and East European Languages and Literatures
Office: AB, Room 4125
Ph.D., Stanford University
Literature of the Age of Goethe, Romantic aesthetic and philosophical theories, German intellectual history (18th-20th-century), questions of gender and the construction of subjectivity, philosophical approaches to literature, representations of Jews in German critical discourse.
Awards, Fellowships, Grants
- Excellence in Graduate Teaching Award (Rutgers Graduate School New Brunswick, 2007-2008)
- Max Kade Award for Best Article in German Quarterly (1998)
- The Word Unheard: Legacies of Anti-Semitism in German Literature and Culture, Northwestern University Press, 2011.
- The Retreat of Representation: The Concept of Darstellung in German Critical Discourse , Albany: State University of New York Press, 1996.
- Nexus 1: Essays in German Jewish Studies , co-editor with Bill Donahue, Camden House, 2011.
- Commitment and Compassion: Essays on Georg Büchner , co-editor, with Patrick Fortmann, Rodopi, 2012. (please click here for publishing information)
- Rereading Romanticism, Amsterdam/Atlanta: Rodopi, 2000 .
- " 'Ein heimlich Ding': Das Selbst als Objekt bei Annette von Droste-Hülshoff," in Redigierte Tradition, ed. Claudia Liebrand, Irmtraud Hnilica, and Thomas Wortmann (Schöningh, 2010), 271-279.
- "The Fairy Tale Jew," Neue Lektüren/New Readings, ed. Gerhard Knapp and Norbert Eke, Amsterdamer Beiträge zur neueren Germanistik 67 (Rodopi: 2009), 31-42.
- "Die Judenbuche" [The Jews' Beech Tree]. The Literary Encyclopedia, 23 Aug. 2006. .
- "Annette von Droste-Hülshoff," The Literary Encyclopedia, 12 July 2006, .
- "The Male Muses of Romanticism: The Poetics of Gender in Novalis, E.T.A. Hoffmann, and Eichendorff." The German Quarterly 78.3 (2005): 299-319.
- "Natural Anti-Semitism: Stifter's Abdias," Deutsche Vierteljahrsschrift 78.2 (2004): 261-86. [Reprinted in Nineteenth-Century Literature Criticism , Volume 198 (Gale, Cengage Learning 2008): 306-320.]
- "Romanticism and Gender Studies," Camden House History of German Literature: The Literature of German Romanticism , ed. Dennis Mahoney (Camden House 2004): 229-49.
- "Wilhelm Meister's Women," Goethe Yearbook 11 (2002): 229-54.
- "Framing the Jew: Grillparzer's Die Jüdin von Toledo." German Quarterly 75.2 (2002): 160-80.
- "'Wer wagt es, eitlen Blutes Drang zu messen?': Reading Blood in Annette von Droste-Hülshoff's Die Judenbuche." German Quarterly 71.3 (1998): 228-253. Best Article Award, German Quarterly 1998 (Max Kade Prize).
- "Dorothea Schlegel's Florentin: Constructing a Feminist Romantic Aesthetic." German Quarterly 69.4 (1996): 144-160.
- "'Confessions of an Improper Man': Friedrich Schlegel's Lucinde," Outing Goethe and His Age, ed. Alice Kuzniar (Stanford: Stanford UP, 1996): 174-193.
- What's so Great about Goethe? (German 625, Fall 2010)
- German Romanticism (German 523, Fall 2009)
- Introduction to Literary and Cultural Analysis: Enchanted Worlds (German 302, Spring 2010)
- Co-editor, Amsterdamer Beiträge zur neueren Germanistik
- Co-editor, Nexus: Essays in German Jewish Studies
- Co-founder and co-organizer, German and Jewish Studies Workshop
- Editorial Board, Goethe Society of North America book series at Bucknell University Press
- Editorial Board, Athenäum
- Editorial Board, German Studies Review
- Executive Committee, MLA, Division on 18th - and early 19th -Century German Literature
- Executive Committee, German Studies Association
- Program Committee, German Studies Association
- Executive Committee, Goethe Society of North America
- Book Review Editor, Goethe Yearbook
- Secretary-Treasurer, Goethe Society of North America