Office: School of Management and Labor Relations, Rutgers University,
94 Rockafeller Road, Piscataway, NJ 08854
Ph.D., Ohio State University, Higher Education Administration
J.D., Georgetown University Law Center
Professor Lee conducts research on new developments in the law that affect employers and higher education institutions. Recent work has included a study of legal issues related to dealing with employees with psychiatric disorders, the legal constraints on employers’ attempts to regulate employee use of social media, the impact of the nondiscrimination laws on dealing with students with psychiatric disorders, a retrospective analysis of the last fifty years of the law related to colleges and universities, and the legal issues related to background checks of applicants for employment.
Barbara A. Lee is Professor of Human Resource Management at the School of Management and Labor Relations, Rutgers University. Professor Lee, an attorney, teaches employment law and higher education law at Rutgers, and has served as department chair, associate dean, associate provost, and dean. She is also of counsel to the law firm of Edwards, Angell, Palmer & Dodge, LLP.
Dr. Lee received her B.A. in English from the University of Vermont, her M.A. in English and Ph.D. in Higher Education Administration from Ohio State University, and her J.D. from Georgetown University Law Center. She is the author of numerous books and articles on employment law, higher education law, employment discrimination, and academic employment practices. She is the coauthor, with William A. Kaplin, of The Law of Higher Education, 4th ed. (2006), A Legal Guide for Student Affairs Professionals, 2d ed. (2009, with W. Kaplin), and Academics in Court: The Consequences of Faculty Discrimination Litigation (with George LaNoue).
Dr. Lee serves on the Executive Committee of the New Jersey Bar Association’s Labor and Employment Law Section, is the immediate past chair of the Bar Association’s Higher Education Committee, and is a former member of the board of directors of the National Association of College and University Attorneys and a NACUA Fellow. She also serves as an expert witness for litigation involving employment discrimination, sexual harassment, and academic personnel decisions.
Click here to view CV of Professor Lee.
Awards, Fellowships, Grants
- 2011 Alice Paul Equality Award from the Alice Paul Institute for her work on behalf of women in the workforce.
- Daniel Gorenstein Award
- 2010 William A. Kaplin Award for Excellence in Higher Education Law and Polciy Scholarship.
- W.A. Kaplin and B.A. Lee. The Law of Higher Education, 5th edition. Jossey-Bass Publishers, in press.
- B.A. Lee and K. A. Rinehart. “Dealing with Troublesome College Faculty and Staff: Legal and Policy Issues.” Journal of College and University Law, Vol. 37 (2), 2011, pp. 359-402.
- B.A Lee. “Fifty Years of Higher Education Law: Turning the Kaleidoscope.” Journal of College and University Law, Vol. 36 (3) (2010), pp. 649-690.
- B.A. Lee and G.E. Abbey. “College Students with Mental Disabilities: Legal and Policy Issues.” Journal of College and University Law, Vol. 34, 2008, pp. 349-391.
- B. A. Lee, “Who Are You? Fraudulent Credentials and Background Checks in Academe.” Journal of College and University Law, Vol. 32, 2006, pp. 655-680.
- Employment Law
- Higher Education Law