Tel: (732) 932-7121
Office: 213 A Van Dyck Hall
* Professor Chatterjee will be on leave during the academic year 2013-14.
Ph.D., School of Oriental and African Studies, University of London
B.A., St. Stephen's College, Delhi University
Professor Chatterjee's research interests include slavery in early modern and modern South Asia, the histories of women and sexuality, of law, and the cultural and intellectual histories at the intersection of the family in the subcontinent. She recently compiled and edited a volume on the history of the family in the transition between early modern and modern South Asia. She is currently working on monks, material culture, and the gender of memory in South Asian history.
Awards, Fellowships, and Grants
- Program in Agrarian Studies, Yale University, 2010-11.
- SAS Dean's Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching, 2009-10.
- ACLS Charles Burkhardt Fellowship, Institute for Advanced Study, Princeton, 2004-05.
- Senior Research Fellowship, Maulana Abul Kalam Azad Institute of Asian Studies, Calcutta, 1997-99.
- Overseas Research Students' Grant, Government of Britain, 1994-96.
- Felix Scholarship, School of Oriental and African Studies, University of London, 1993-96.
- Forgotten Friends: Monks, Marriages and Memory in Northeast India, OUP India, 2013
- Coedited with Richard Eaton, Slavery and South Asian History, Indiana University Press, 2007.
- Edited, Unfamiliar Relations: Family and History in South Asia, Rutgers University Press and Permanent Black, 2004.
- Gender, Slavery and Law in Colonial India Oxford University Press, Delhi, 1999.
- "Genealogy, History and Law: the case of the Tripura Rajamala', in Partha Chatterjee and Anjan Ghosh eds, History and the Present Permanent Black, Delhi, 2002, pp. 109 -145.
- 'Territory, Identity and Humanitarianism: Slaves During the Age of Imperial Frontier - Management' in Ranabir Samaddar ed. Space, Territory, State Orient Longman, Delhi, 2002, pp. 63-86.
- 'Alienation, Intimacy and Gender: Problems for a History of Love in South Asia', in Ruth Vanita ed. Queering India: Same-Sex Love and Eroticism in Indian Culture and Society Routledge, New York and London, 2001, pp.61-76.
- 'The Politics of the Unhomely:', in Sanjukta Bhattacharya ed. India at the End of the Twentieth Century: Essays on Politics, Society and the Economy, Lancer's Books, Delhi, 2001, pp. 145-157
- 'A Slave's Search for Selfhood in Eighteenth - Century Hindustan', The Indian Economic and Social History Review, 37, no.1, 2000, pp. 53-86.
- Co-authored with Sumit Guha, 'Slave-Queen, Waif-Prince: Slavery and Social Poverty in Eighteenth Century India', The Indian Economic and Social History Review, 36, no. 2, 1999, pp. 165-86
- 'Colouring Subalternity: Slaves, Concubines and Social Orphans under the East India Company', in Gautam Bhadra, Gyan Prakash and Susie Tharu eds. Subaltern Studies, vol. X, Oxford University Press, Delhi, 1999, pp. 49-97.
- 506:401 Seminar in South Asian History
- 508:230 South Asia Civilizations 3000BCE to 2000 CE.
- 508:330 Early Modern South Asia
- 508:331 Women in Modern South Asian History
- 508:332 Slavery in South Asian History
- 510:511 Colloquium in History and Postcolonial Theory (to be taught in Spring 2012)
- 510:539 Colloquium in Women's and Gender History 510:560 PRD in Women and Gender History
- American Historical Association
- Association for Asian Studies