Tel: (732) 932-0934
Office: Civic Square Building, Rm 534
Ph.D. University of Colorado
M.A. University of Colorado
Dip.Ed. Oxford University
B.Sc. Nottingham University
Tourism, Urban Geography, Societal Impacts of the World Wide Web, Gender.
Briavel Holcomb is Professor in the Bloustein School and former Director of the Humphrey Program. She is a geographer whose recent research focuses on tourism and on the internet. She has been a Fulbright Scholar at the University of Malta and a visiting professor at the University of Exeter (UK), the New School (NY), the University of Colorado, and the University of Pittsburgh's Semester at Sea program. She was elected to the Council's of the Association of American Geographers and the American Geographical Society and was President of the Middle States Region of the AAG. She has served on the editorial boards of The Annals of American Geography, The Professional Geographer, Focus, and Urban Affairs Review. Her publications include three books and numerous articles and book chapters. Dr. Holcomb was the recipient of the 2012 Association of American Geographers Distinguished Teaching Honors, and has twice sailed around the world teaching on Semester at Sea.
Click here to view CV of Professor Holcomb.
- Michael Leyshon, Sean DiGiovanna, and Briavel Holcomb. 2013 "Mobile Technologies and Youthful Exploration: Stimulus or Inhibitor?" Urban Studies 50 (3) 455-466.
- "Symbolism and Place" in Encyclopedia of Geography. Barner Warf, Ed. Sage. Forthcoming.
- "Iran" (pp.610-613) and "Travel and Tourism Occupations" (246-248) in Encyclopedia of Women in World History. Bonnie G. Smith Ed. Oxford University Press, 2008.
- "Demography" "Tourism, Leisure and Hospitality" in Mapping New Jersey: An Evolving Landscape. M.Laurie and P.Wacker eds. Rutgers Univ press, forthoming.
- "Newark" in The City. Ed. J. Rogozinksi. Sharpe. Forthcoming.
- “The Internet and 9/11” Journal of Urban Technology 2003.
- Holcomb, Briavel, Philip B. Bakelaar, and Mark Zizzamia. 2003. The Internet in the Aftermath of the World Trade Center Attack. Journal of Urban Technology 10, 1: 111-128
- Ioannides, Dimitri, and Briavel Holcomb. 2003. Misguided policy initiatives in small-island destinations: why do up-market tourism policies fail? Tourism Geographies 5, 1: 39-48.
- “Islands in the (cyberspace) sun: Marketing Islands for Tourism Online” in Tourism 2001.
- “Unloosing lost places: Image-making, tourism and the return to Terra Cognita” in Visual Culture and Tourism 2002.
- “Gender, Tourism and Development in Latin America” in Women as Producers and Consumers of Tourism in Developing Regions 2001.
- “Raising the Stakes: Some implications of Up-Market tourism policies in Cyprus and Malta” in Mediterranean Islands and Sustainable Tourism Development 2001.